Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A Quick Update and Some Questions

We received Drake's biopsy results and everything came back fine! No allergic esophagus and no signs of damage from the reflux. So we basically found out what we knew all along...he has bad reflux when he eats. It is a good sign the biopsy came back clear because that means the reflux is not causing inflammation of the esophagus or other tissues at this point. I'm so glad that we went ahead with the procedure because now we know we are treating the right problem.

Drake is now on 30 mg of Prevacid a day. This kid is maxed out on the highest dosage of Prevacid he can take and guess what?!? IT IS WORKING!!!!!!! He no longer screams at night when he takes his bottle and I no longer feel like my chest is going to explode with anxiety when bedtime comes. I also finally know what it is like to feed a baby that does not scream when he eats a bottle and it is a pretty amazing experience!

Now to the questions...I need some more ideas for finger foods/solids to feed Drake (remember he started solids early because of his reflux, so he is eating closer to what a 1 year old would eat instead of a 9 month old). What are some good standbys? Also how do you get your baby to eat veggies?!? He likes the green bean stage 3 baby food and some canned carrots but that is about all I can get him to eat. Give me your best tips!

8 comments:

  1. Im glad he is doing a lot better and all the test came out fine! As far as finger foods, I just started Kayla with the gerber puffs, and now she is eating cheerios, bananas, and well cooked pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah for Drake doing better! Kenz also loved any noodles, sweet potatoes, and mandarin oranges at first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats good news about baby.
    For finger foods, Mace loves pasta, gnocchi, flatbread w/ humuus (actually, huumus on anything), plain rice cakes, puffed wheat, avocado (either on its own or spread on something), canned pears, shredded cheese, grilled cheese sandwiches, macaroni and cheese (notice a trend?) ... umm, basically he eats pretty much whatever we eat now. We're just extra-careful about the salt content, and cut things up into small pieces for him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I second a lot of what Andra said.

    Slice up bananas and all sorts of canned fruit (and fresh fruit pretty soon)

    I stab a sweet potato all over, and bake it on the micro, then scoop out the insides for my girls to eat.

    Avocado is really great too!

    Buttered noodles, yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey katie! i'm a brand new follower and i love your blog so far! i haven't had a chance to read about drake yet, but believe me, i will!

    my lil' man started solids early, too, although it was only because his bottle just wasn't filling him up. he LOVED his green beans, so when it came to other veggies, as simple as it is, mix new stuff with what he likes.

    as far as finger foods go... just make some pasta. our grocery store has a bunch of different shapes and sizes and lil' man loved it. you might try quaker rice cakes, also. my kiddo's been eating those since he was able to gum them. he loves the apple cinnamon ones!

    good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Writing Without Periods!May 12, 2010 at 6:32 AM

    Good for Drake. It's so hard when they are little and it's difficult for them to tell you how they feel...ah!
    Hope all goes okay.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I'm new to your blog- but saw that your son has reflux (as did mine) we started solids early and I feel your pain. Chatham (my son) LOVED potatoes from a can. I just heated them in a pot and added some parmesan cheese for flavor. He was also a big fan of mandarin oranges and macaroni and cheese (I made mine with pinwheel noodles and melted velvetta.
    Good Luck!

    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  8. My daughter had to be on the same dose of Prevacid for reflux when she was a baby! She took it until she was a year...she is 2 now and is perfectly healthy with no reflux!! Good luck to you!! Found your blog and stopped by from SITs!! Glad I did!

    Jenn
    http://www.ourpictureperfectlife.com

    ReplyDelete