Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Great Escape

Ben and I escaped for a rare weekend alone to celebrate our 5th Anniversary (July 23rd) and my 27th Birthday (July 24th). We thought there would be no better place for a quick weekend getaway than Kansas City and we were right! 
We started our trip with a BBQ lunch at Oklahoma Joe's. This BBQ place is in a gas station. It definitely looks like nothing special but the food is A.M.A.Z.I.N.G!! 

We stayed right on Country Club Plaza at the Marriott

And got upgraded to an awesome suite

With equally awesome views

And what would a getaway be without a glass (or few) of refreshing white wine

Or silly shots of me pretending to drink out of a fountain

OK, so Ben's shot is a bit better than mine

 We actually had our picture taken in this exact same spot when we came 6 years ago.
If only I could find that picture, but I can't.
So just picture me skinner with blonde hair and Ben with a head full of longer curly hair.

We even got to have....wait for it....a leisurely breakfast.
With no wild baby to chase after we got to enjoy coffee, pastries and just chilling.
It was GREAT!

This is the point where my picture taking stopped, but the fun continued. We went on a tour of Boulevard Brewing Company and got a sample 4 big samples of their great beer. I think I need to work because they have an employee bar where all the workers get to have a drink or two after work... for free!!

After the tour we stopped for lunch and then headed the 3 hours home. We did a little shopping when we got back (for Drake of course) and then headed to my favorite sushi place for dinner. We even got wild and went to a bar afterwards for a nightcap. We may have even stopped to get Birthday Cake ice cream to eat with brownies at home and watch an episode of Glee before calling it a night. Wild I tell you, wild.

This morning we headed up to my parents to pick up this handsome dude
Man!
Did I miss him!!!

All in all, it was a weekend for the books!

PS-You know you're a mom when you get a copy of  What to Expect the Toddler Years for your birthday.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you had some time away as a couple and it looks heavenly!!!! But, what a pot of gold you saw at the end of the weekend...he's scrumptious, your little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for mommy-daddy time!!! What a great getaway to recharge your batteries and just be adults!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a fun getaway. Thanks for stopping by! Always nice to meet up with fellow iowans. You two are youngins. Looks like you know liz. She's a regular stop on my route.

    ReplyDelete