Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall...

Please Welcome Shannon over from Webbisodes as our guest blogger today. Shannon has a daughter that is just a few days older than Drake. Gillian Grace is the cutest little girl and I have a feeling her and Mr. Drake would get along famously as they both are two active, sweet and just plain awesome kids!!  I so wish I lived closer to Shannon as I think we would be fast friends. So grab a "Coke" as Shannon calls it,  or a "Pop" as I call it and enjoy Shannon's post! Don't forget to swing by her blog so you can see how cute Miss GG is for yourself!!

{Hi, my name is Shannon. I was flattered {not to mentioned surprised} when Katie here at Sassy.Silly.Spunky Momma asked me to be a guest blogger while she is away on vacation. Katie's blog is one of my favorites! Please drop by my blog , Webbisodes, when you get a chance and leave a comment to say hi. I love meeting new "bloggy" friends! }

Now onto my post:

Mirror, mirror on the wall...

It wasn't long ago that I looked in the mirror and saw a young carefree 20-something with nearly flawless skin staring back at me. But as with most things in life, that too is slowly changing.

Nowadays the mirror is not quite as kind as it once was.

The beginning signs of aging are knocking on my door and, like pesky uninvited out-of-town guests, continue to make themselves at home despite my protests.

It takes more time for me to get ready even though I have less of it to spare, and concealer has become a makeup must. I no longer go hunting for bargains, but rather gray hairs. My former stick-straight hair that once wouldn't hold a curl, is now an unmanageable wavy mess due to ever fluctuating hormone levels, à la last year's pregnancy. I'd be lost without my tweezers, since hair now grows from places I never even knew it could. Freckles continue to multiply thanks to years of sun worshiping poolside and under eye circles persist no matter how much sleep I manage to get.



Photobucket


And they say that age is just a state of mind.

Well, so is insanity and there are days when despite being only 30, I feel 80 and about as crazy as a table flipping New Jersey housewife.

So what's a girl to do?

Since drawing the curtains, wearing pjs all day, and never leaving the house isn't really an option, I'm left with little choice but to change my self-perception and learn to accept the woman I'm becoming.

No longer will I waste time obsessing about those newly discovered lines in the corner of my eyes. Instead I'll remember how they came to be, those days of laughing so hard my eyes narrowed and filled with happy tears. When I see a new wrinkle around my mouth, I'll think about the countless times my family has made me smile. Oh, and my forehead wrinkles? Well, those obviously stemmed from my wonderfully poignant thoughts and all the years of helpful advice I've shared, of course! But I'm quite sure that all the worrying over my eventually teenage daughter won't help much either!

And though the thought of some day resembling the Old Witch from Snow White makes me shudder, I will try my best to grow old gracefully and learn to embrace each new year along with the changes it brings.



Photobucket


Life, by design, is imperfect. And, growing old sure does beat the alternative.

What's your reflection saying about you?



"Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections." - Anonymous

2 comments:

  1. omg, that reflection...you're too funny!

    I know about tweezers and how they become so important, believe me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ma What's 4 dinnerJuly 14, 2010 at 6:38 AM

    So true, so true. Love reading these guest posts!

    Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma What's for Dinner
    www.mawhats4dinner.com

    ReplyDelete