Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Pink Toenails

Have you seen the J. Crew ad showing a momma painting her little boys toenails pink?

If not here it is.


No big deal right? Well apparently there are enough people who think it is a big deal that has been a headline maker over the past few days.

I have absolutely no idea why this subject is enraging me so much but it struck a nerve with me...a big nerve. Maybe it's because I'm a mother of a boy. A mother who wants her son to be comfortable being who he is. A mother who could care less if her son played football or carried a doll around. A mother who does not want her kid to bullied. A mother who is disgusted by the cruel words and closed mindedness of adults on this subject.

It seems a little funny to me that many of the people who seem to be most upset by this are middle-aged men. Why do they care so much? They are reading SO far into this ad by thinking it is promoting a transgendered or homosexual lifestyle. Last time I checked a little pink nail polish was not going to confuse and scar a kid for life or determine their lifestyle choices.

So to all of you middle-aged men who are speaking out against this to you I say-I'm beyond thankful you are not my boss, father, husband, brother, or son because it is people like you who are bullies. It is people like you who are causing the problems instead of solving them. And it people like you who make this world just a little bit of a harder place to live in.

So would I paint my son's toenails hot pink?

Hell yes I would.

And I would let him wear a pink shirt while I did it.

7 comments:

  1. I haven't seen this ad but I'd have a hard time believing it's the women making a stink about this...you're right it's dumb men. Or I don't know, maybe some really conservative women. I wouldn't purposely paint my son's toenails pink or at all I guess unless he asked me and then I wouldn't care. But it really makes me think because if I had a little girl I'd introduce toenail polish to her probably before she asked...because that's what "girls do". Kind of makes me examine my own way of looking at things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen this ad but I can understand middle aged men throwing a fit about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I should finish my though...It makes sense that middle aged men would complain about it because they can be very insecure and worried sometimes about little things. Stereotypical attitudes and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You tell it, Katie! Woot!

    This coming from a woman who married a man who wears pink and purple shirts...

    Also? you won my giveaway!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so right. Let kids be who they want to be! My son likes a painted toe nail while crashing his trucks in the sand.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear ya!! It's crazy how it's ok for girls to dress like boys and play with "boy" toys, but why not the other way around?

    ReplyDelete
  7. well said and totally agree with you. some people are so ridiculous are really should be worrying about the real problems like the economy, healthcare, and the education system! whatever!!!

    hoping over from spearmint baby and loving your blog!

    xox

    http://lattesandjuice.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete