Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Three-Year-Olds

“Drake, what did you say?” I asked as I heard him mutter something under his breath.

“I didn’t say I don’t like you.” He replied with a daring  look in his eyes.

“What?!?” I said with anger and hurt in my voice.

“Nothing.” He said quietly as he avoided my eyes.

Three-year-olds mean business. They have the ability to try you and make you go crazy. They know that words can hurt and they use them to do so.
“Our Father up in heaven how be thy name. Thy will be done on earth and heaven. Give us our daily bread and forgive us who sin against you. Lead us not temptation deliver us from evil. The kingdom and the glory AMEN.” Drake prays in his sweet little voice as his eyes look into min.

We end each night with the Lord’s Prayer. Three-year-olds are wonderful I think as I listen to him say his prayer. So little and already has a love for Jesus. I’m so proud.
“I don’t want to go to bed!” He screams as I carry him up the stairs.

“I told you if you did not listen you were going to bed early.” I say with exhaustion dripping from of my voice.

“But I want a snack!!!!” He begs as I lay him down in his bed.

“It’s too late for that, you had your chance to eat at supper and you didn't. “ I said as I kiss him good-night.

Three-year-olds have a way of wearing you down with the whining and crying and their selective hearing.  They know just what buttons to push to make you wonder just what you are doing wrong as parent.
“I love you Drakie.” I say as we cuddle up for a Saturday afternoon nap together.

“I love you too Momma.”  He pauses and says “I’m sorry for being naughty last night. I want to be a good boy and not be naughty.”

“Oh Drakie, I know you do honey. You ARE a good boy.”

Three-year-olds have a way of letting you know when you need it the most that you are doing a pretty good as a parent. That they DO know right from wrong and can recognize when they hurt somebody.

My Drake at three-years-old is exhausting and frustrating and can be difficult. But my Drake at three-years-old is also sweet and sensitive and pretty much perfect.

And the best part about Drake at three-years-old? He tells me every day that I’m his best friend.  I think I kind of like three.

DSC_0810

1 comment:

  1. I would swear you were writing this about our 3 yr old daughter Molly. We've had those exact conversations at our house!

    ReplyDelete