Sunday, November 28, 2010

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Last night was one of those nights that was truly magical.

A night that took me back to my childhood.

A night that makes you believe in flying Nannies and the magic of believing.

A night that was perfect in every way.


Last night I had the pleasure of attending the Broadway performance of Mary Poppins and it was extraordinary in every way. I have to admit, I was a bit skeptical how Broadway could recreate one of the most classic childhood movies of all time (and one of my favorites growing up) but it did not disappoint!

From the moment the curtain went up and the notes of "Chim Cher-ee" filled the air the performance was filled with favorite moments and songs from the original  movie with some new twists and musical numbers.

The show was full of unexpected magic and special effects that added so many "WOW" moments to the production. The highlight of the show came with a jaw-dropping performance of "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" where the cast impressed us all with the mind-numbing ability to spell the crazy long word over and over and faster and faster, all while preforming impressive dance moves!

The best part about Mary Poppins is that it is truly a show that the whole family can attend and enjoy! I went with my sister, mother in-law, and sister in-law. We all left the performance in awe of the talent and showmanship. 

As we were leaving the Civic Center last night, I could not help but notice the children talking excitedly to their parents about their favorite parts of the show, the groups of people talking about how they would love to see it again, and the couples chatting about the talent of the performers in the show.

I also could not help but notice the hundreds and hundreds of smiles of the people leaving. And in my opinion,  a smile as you leave a performance is the best review any show could get.

Thank you to the Civic Center of Greater Des Moines for inviting me to be their guest. If you would like to see Mary Poppins and experience the magic for yourself, it is playing now through December 12th at the Civic Center. If you live outside the Des Monies area check your local Preforming Arts Center to see if Mary Poppins is coming to you

Please Note: I was provided with tickets to Mary Poppins. I was not compensated in any other way. These are my own, honest opinions.

2 comments:

  1. I am so jealous! I love love love musicals. Mary Poppins is one of my favorite movies too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i so enjoy going to live plays like that!

    ReplyDelete