Monday, October 11, 2010

Count the Kicks

On  August 1, 2009 a 7lb 6oz baby boy made his grand entrance into this world, surprising his parents by arriving 2 weeks early. His birth and delivery was uneventful and much easier than his first time mother expected. While this new mother sat getting acquainted with her new baby, her labor nurse came over and told her "I don't want to scare you, but your son was born with a true knot in his umbilical cord. It is uncommon and he is a lucky boy."

That baby boy was Drake.

And that new mom was me.

As I explained in my birth story here I had no idea how very serious and deadly a true knot could be to a baby.
9 months after Drake was born, I gathered the courage to research the subject. I was shocked and scared by what I found and  never felt so blessed to have a healthy and energetic baby boy as I did in that moment. 

Shortly after I wrote my birth story, I became connected through a series of events (some might even call it fate) to a woman who's daughter was stillborn due to a true knot in her cord. In the weeks that followed, this woman invited me to meet with her and 4 other amazing and strong women. These women came from all walks of life and all had different stories to tell, but are connected by the fact that each one of them lost a daughter to late- term stillbirth or infant death. These remarkable women banded together and pledged to make a difference and decrease the stillbirth and infant death rate. Through their conversations and shared passion they founded the organization Healthy Birth Day and the Count the Kicks Campaign.

Count the Kicks encourages expectant mothers in their 3rd trimester of pregnancy to monitor fetal movement. A significant decrease in fetal movement could indicate a problem with the baby. Count the Kicks gives women ideas on how to get the baby moving, should a decrease in activity be noticed, and advises women when to alert the doctor if movement does not increase. Please visit the Count the Kicks website to learn more.

                                                     
                                                                            Photo Credit
I was aware of the Count the Kicks campaign when I was pregnant and counted kicks many times. Little did I know at the time, Count the Kicks would come to be a campaign that I feel connected to and so very passionate about.

Because this is a campaign that I feel is worthy of our time and attention I'm going to present a challenge to you-my readers.

Please bring awareness to a campaign that can be utilized by every single expectant mother in the world by adding the Count the Kicks button to your blog.

(Just copy and past the html code below into your blog)

 Count The Kicks
Do it for me.
Do it for Drake.
Do it for every pregnant woman.
Do it for every unborn baby.
Do it to bring awareness.
Do it for those 5 amazing women and their 5 precious angel baby girls.

Do it to save a life.

Please email me for more information about Count the Kicks and how you can help.

14 comments:

  1. I've never heard of it before, but thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Fearless Formula FeederOctober 11, 2010 at 6:48 PM

    My son stopped moving- and I mean altogether - at 33 weeks. Occasionally if I shook my belly and drank something cold/sugary I could get a kick out him, but hardly anything. I told my OB at the time, and we did NSTs and he wouldn't move until they zapped me 2 or 3 times. Still, she said everything was fine. I knew it wasn't, but what could I do?

    Finally, at 38weeks6days, after the 15th non-reactive NST, her nurse convinced her something was wrong. Turned out I had an undiagnosed growth restriction and severely low fluid. Luckily this time, I know what to look for. But I am a HUGE proponent of kick counts and paying attention to fetal activity. We need to be advocates for ourselves and our unborn babies....thanks for bringing attention to this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sniff, sniff, for those mommas! I had heard of this and agree...it's so important! Thanks for reminding us all! Hugs, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I teach a camp each summer with one of the women who founded this group and her story is absolutely unimaginable and every pregnant mamma's biggest fear. Great post- love that you are helping to raise awareness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Post thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY for spreading the word! It's so great that you've gotten involved in such an important cause!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stopping by from SITS. Thanks for spreading this awareness. I see why you feel so strongly about this. We need more advocates like you today/ Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stopping by from SITS. Great post on something that all mommas need to know about. My midwives were quite informative about things like this. Thanks for a little reminder & education today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Great post and great cause.

    To get your buttons in a row... put the codes right next to each other with no spaces or entering between them. I'm so glad it worked!! Cute, cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's an amazing post- I bet it's hard to re-tell it. My 2nd was born with the cord wrapped around his neck. I didn't get to hold him for a long time.

    I like your new buttons- BTW! They look really good. I haven't attempted- I'm a wuss!

    Crystal
    http://survivingandthrivinginmom-dom.blogspot.com
    Baaa tribe

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I had been far enough along for this to help me. I lost my son at 21 weeks gestation to a twisted cord. Another very rare occurance. His cord was actually tightly twisted, like a wrung out dishrag. My OB said this happens about 1 in 5,000 babies! There is no info about it online. I've googled it like crazy.

    But it's great that there is something out there that can help those who are far enough along to help their babies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, you were so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You were lucky and so was I. My 4 year old Emily was born with a knot too. We almost lost her the day I gave birth to her because no one was aware of her knot. I will definitely be passing this along.

    I also have an award waiting for you at

    http://lauragelnett.blogspot.com/2010/10/my-first-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember counting kicks. My heart breaks for those mommies.
    A good cause, Katie- and a badge will be going on my blog.

    ReplyDelete