Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Why I Formula Feed

I formula fed Drake and I plan to do the same with his little brother.

Here are some things I want you to know about my experience formula feeding:

  • Formula works for our family. I never had a desire to breastfeed so formula feeding was an easy choice for me.

  • I have never felt guilt over my choice. This has made it easy to back up my choice a well as allow me to really enjoying feeding my son.

  • I know that breast milk is best. I've done my research. I also know if you are not fully committed to breastfeeding formula is just as good.

  •  I have a OB, family physician, pediatrician, family, and friends who all support my choice, making formula feeding enjoyable and stress-free.

  • I loved watching Drake take a bottle from Ben or his grandparents. I loved how they felt included in the feeding process and the special time it gave them with our little guy.

  • I am proud of my choice and never try to hide the fact that I did not breastfeed. I hope that by being open and honest about my choice I can help another woman let go of her guilt of giving her baby formula.

  • I think breastfeeding is great. I have no opposition to it and fully support any mother who does it.  I do not think it is gross or unnatural. I think it is the right choice for many women, just not myself.


I will leave you with this- a little something I wrote in this post right after Drake was born.

I did not write this post to be all “Pro Formula”. I wrote this because whether you are nursing your child at a restaurant or you are shaking up a bottle of formula at the mall, we are all mothers. Mothers who are feeding our babies the best way we know how to. We are mothers that love our babies…and that is what is important.

 

7 comments:

  1. I formula feed too. I tried breastfeeding all three of mine, and between thrush, bad reflux, and poor suck, it was awful for them and the sleepless nights, mood swings, and cracked nipples just about did me in. I wanted to breastfeed, and tried valiently, but realized that we're all much happier when meals come from a bottle, and a happy family and a fed baby is what matters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drake had awful reflux too! I was so happy I was formula feeding during all of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You said it correctly, we're all mothers. No matter what our choice, we are all just trying to do what we know is best for us and our babies. What a good reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this. It's so nice to see someone talking about their decision clearly, proudly, and without judgment of others. Seems like it should be so simple, but as we both know... it hardly ever is. I think reading posts like this will inspire others to own their choices and feel less like they need to keep it a guilty secret, so thanks for writing it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved reading this post. While I am one who nurses my daughter, I love hearing the other side and why you chose to go this route. It is sad to see others judge one another for the decision that is made. We all love our babies regardless of the source of their food. You are so bold to put this out there when so much of society leads you to believe there is only one right choice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for commenting Amanda! It is always interesting to read about others choices. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for commenting. I love your blog and the support it gives to women. Let me know if you ever need a guest post, I would be happy to help!

    ReplyDelete