Monday, January 16, 2012

I Never Want to Forget

Last night I had a truly magical moment- I experienced the love of a big brother towards his little brother for the first time.

Ben has this app download on his iPhone that allows you to use the microphone on the phone to listen to the baby's heartbeat. It is an inexpensive app that works about 50 percent of the time. Anyways, last night I decided to try it out. I plugged the headphones in and got the phone situated on my belly. Drake saw what I was doing and wanted in on the action so I gave him one of the earpieces. The baby was kicking like crazy and that was the only sound we were hearing.

Drake heard the sound and thought his brother was talking to him.

"What Baby?" he said as though his brother just told him something.

"I tell you something...Nana and Papa" he tells his baby brother.

He listens a bit more and says "Thanks for the present Baby" (We have been talking about how Drake will be bringing a present for the baby to the hospital and the baby will have a present at the hospital for Drake)

At this point I have tears streaming down my face, thinking it could not get any better.

Drake seemed to have enough and gave the headphones back and then quickly turned around and said "I talk to baby again"

He put the earpiece back in and listened to his brother. "I play trains and I share" he tells his brother.

Again he pauses to listen and looks up at me with concern in his eyes " Baby is sad" he says before he runs away. A second later he reappears with one of his much-loved blankets and says "Baby have blankie"

This is what make parenthood special, I think as I lock eyes with Ben who has been watching this whole exchange

Brothers.

These 2 boys already have a special bond that makes my heart melt and tears fall.

In that moment all my fears of being a mother to 2 fall away as I think of what a blessing my boys are to me and all of the things that are to come...as a family of 4.

* To make things even cuter Drake was not calling his little brother 'Baby' but rather by the name we picked out for him. The name I'm keeping secret on this blog until his arrival.

4 comments:

  1. That is the sweetest! I was so worried about going from a family of three to a family of four but it was the best thing thats ever happened to us. My boys love eachother like no one else. I adore watching them play together. They really are best friends and its the BEST! Good luck in the rest of your pregnancy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You never know what the little ones will say to melt your heart :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear everything went well for your family. I'm a new follower of your blog. Us moms of boys need to stick together :)

    ReplyDelete