Monday, March 7, 2011

He Was Wrapped Around My Finger...

I originally published this piece exactly one year ago today. To this day it is my favorite blog post I have written and I'm proud to share it with you again. Enjoy!

It was about one year ago that we found out we were having a boy. The weeks leading up to our ultrasound were spent guessing what we were having and talking about names. I wanted a girl...really bad. If somebody was to ask what I wanted I gave the standard "As long as it is healthy, we don't care" response, but deep down I knew that I wanted a girl.

You see, I grew up in a family of mostly women. I have 2 younger sisters who I have a great relationship with and my mom is my best friend. To me it seemed that a baby girl would just complete our little clan.

The big ultrasound day came and we were not in the ultrasound room 5 minutes before the tech asked "Do you want to know the sex, I can see it right here and I have no doubt what it is." Ben and I excitedly told her to tell us. "It's a boy" she said.  The second she said "It's a boy" the future I saw of dresses, and shopping, and heart to heart talks died and was replaced with cars, and football, and mud...and you know what? I was OK with that because I just saw MY baby boy moving, and sucking HIS thumb and saw HIS little heart beat. At that exact moment I fell in love!!
Our first picture of our little boy

As the months went by, we picked out a name, painted his room and bought clothes. With each of these steps, I fell more and more in love with my little boy. On August 1st, I found myself holding the most beautiful baby boy. The second I laid eyes on his crazy mop of black hair and looked into his huge eyes, my heart melted and I knew this was the baby  I was always meant to have!
2 days before Drake was born

Since that day I have never looked back and I LOVE being a mom to boy. He is wild and crazy and loud and sweet and cuddly and loves his Momma something fierce. I am in love with his little man clothes, his crazy hair, his sloppy wet kisses, his belly laugh, the way he touches my face when I talk. I am in love in a way I have never been before. I am forever changed for the better because I have the honor and privilege of being his Momma.
My sweet newborn Drakie

I can't wait to have more kids and would be happy to have a little girl at some point. But you know what?  I would be insanely happy with a bunch of boys running around the house chasing the dog and climbing on the furniture with their sticky fingers.

I have learned a very important lesson from all of this....God gives you the family you are suppose to have and He knows so much better what we need than we ever will.

Thank God for knowing I needed a little boy!

7 Months of pure bliss!

4 comments:

  1. I have two boys that I wouldn't trade for all the girls in the world! You're right...God does know what he's doing with the children he gives us. He knew that I needed boys, and I praise Him everyday for this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet! I'm a momma to a little boy, and these descriptions are so, so right on! Before getting pregnant, I couldn't imagine having a boy, but now I can't imagine life without him.

    I'm a new follower; found you on the SITS Girls website. You can find me at www.spaghettiwesterner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet! It's so great to look back every once in a while, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. sweet and lovely

    ReplyDelete