Monday, September 27, 2010

The Story of the Wedding Dress

I had a beautiful wedding dress.

It was strapless and had a lace-up back that made it fit just perfect. The dress was fitted throughout the torso and had a full skirt with a beautiful train. It was a simple dress but had just enough sparkly beads to make it special. I knew from the minute I tried that dress on it was going to be mine.


I wore this dress on one of the happiest days of my life. I laughed and cried in this dress. I danced the night away in this dress. I became a Mrs. in this dress. I never felt more beautiful than I did in this dress. I truly loved it.

I loved it so much that all I have to remember the dress by are pictures and wedding videos.

 You see, this is where my story takes a turn from the norm. Instead of cleaning my wedding dress and packing it up and putting it away in the closet. I went to the UPS store with my dress, a donation form and $40.00 to offset cleaning costs. My mom cried while the UPS worker packed away my dress that was only worn for 12 short hours but held so many memories and told so many stories. 

I am a realistic person. I knew the chances of my future daughter (if I even have one) wearing my dress was slim. I also had no desire to use parts of it as a baptismal gown for any future children. I not the kind of person who keeps things just for the sake of keeping them so I set out looking for an alternative.

I found an organization online called Brides Against Brest Cancer and  immediately knew I had just found a new home for my wedding dress. Brides Against Brest Cancer takes donations of new and used bridal gowns and sells them to raise money for breast cancer research. I could not have been happier knowing that not only was my dress getting a second chance at making another person feel gorgeous, it was all also benefiting a great charity. I knew it was a win for everybody and made my decision to donate the dress very easy.

Who says that a wedding gown can't tell more than one person's story? I'm happy that my dress has more than one chapter, and even though I will never know who had the privilege of wearing something so important to me, my wedding dress and it's story lives on.

If you would like more information about how I decided to donate my dress or how you can donate please email me at sssmomma@gmail.com

2 comments:

  1. This is a great idea!!! My dress is still in the closet; I was trying to find a good place for it to go.

    Thanks for stopping by for my SITS Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! You are amazing! And you did look very beautiful in that dress! :)

    ReplyDelete