Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Story of the Rice Krispie Eggs

The Question: How hard can it be to make Rice Krispie Eggs?
The Answer: VERY HARD
Let me preface this with I'm not a great cook and have had many "mistakes" in the kitchen so what follows is really not all that surprising to me or anybody who knows me.

I wanted to make some treats for Drake's daycare for Easter. I was browsing through the Sunday paper when I saw an ad for Rice Krispie Eggs. They looked so cute and I thought the daycare kids would LOVE them. I ran to the store and bought my supplies and went to work.

Here are some things I learned in the process:

1. When they say butter your hand before you make the eggs they mean butter your hands. I thought I would take a shortcut and spray them with cooking spray. NOT a smart idea as it only made my hands feel disgusting and if it was at all possible made the Rice Krispies stick more! So I got out a stick of butter and started to rub it on my hands (is that what they mean by butter your hands?) and it worked much better!

2. You have to work FAST at making those eggs!! They seemed to leave this part off the recipe. I was taking my time trying to form the perfect eggs and by the time I was getting to the end it was like scraping concrete out of the pan.

3. The recipe said it made 18 eggs and because of #2 I only had 14 small eggs. Yep, I lost at least 4 eggs to being super slow!

4. Forming Rice Krispies into eggs is a lot easier said than done. Most of mine look like...well...not eggs.

5. The eggs still look and taste pretty good despite all the above so I guess we can still call the disaster of a project eggs a success!

Next year I will make Jell-O eggs. How hard can that be?!?

4 comments:

  1. Hahaha! This post cracked me up and I can totally relate! I bet the kids will love the treats! You get more points than me- I grabbed an Easter book for daycare and called it good. Not much thought with that. :S Can't wait to hear how the jello eggs go next year! :)
    -Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you and I are similar in the kitchen! I'm glad they came out yummy for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As long as they taste good, that's all that matters. :)

    At least with Jello, you'll have a mould, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol i love it.. i was the same way last year.. didn't work out that great.. but this year i learned that water on ur hands work way better. so i had a bowl of warm water next to me.. they turned out great and looks perfect this year.. good luck with the jello :0) Lana

    ReplyDelete