Monday, September 17, 2012

Unexpected Memories

Saturday morning we packed up half our house (you know, the whole traveling with a baby and toddler preschoolar thing) and took a 2 hour road trip to Iowa City for a little family tailgating and cheering our Hawks on to a win.


Iowa hawkeyes family


I will be honest, the initial thought of taking a 3-year-old and a 5-month-old tailgating and to a college football game sounded overwhelming and like a lot of work and not something I was  necessarily looking forward to. However, I knew that my parents and sisters were so looking forward to having us all together for a little football fun.


Can I just say, that I am SO happy that I sucked it up and went.


hawkeye boy


Drake had the time of his life tailgating and we had so much fun watching him take everything in. From treats from Nana and Papa to lots of attention from his adoring aunties, this boy had such a fun day. It really is the best thing ever to see things through your children's eyes.


hawkeye baby


And this one? He was made for days like today. He slept the whole way there, talked and smiled at everybody as he was passed for person to person during the tailgate, slept during part of the game and then smiled at every single person who looked at him the rest of the game. He did have a little bit of a tough time on the ride home, but that was to be expected after a full day of fun!



I really don't know how many times Ben and I looked at each other and smiled at the memories we were making or commented  "What a fun day this is, I am so happy we came" to each other.


The memories we made on Saturday were so worth the hard work and chaos it took to get us there. They were even worth one or both kids (at the same time) crying pretty much the whole way home.


Saturday night as I lay in bed with a smile on my face reflecting on my day, I promised myself to do the hard things, do the inconvenient things, do the things you don't want to do because you never know if an unexpected memory awaits you at the end.


2 comments:

  1. Pretty stinkin' cute, your kids are. Looks like a super fun day. I think the next time we get together the kids need to wear their ISU/Iowa gear so we can get a picture of the "Friends Divided" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good reminder :) I tend to be a stick-in-the-mud about these sorts of outings and "adventures", thankfully for our kids, my dear husband is a much braver soul than I and so our family has more Fun than they might otherwise. And you're right. It's usually totally worth it in the end :)

    ReplyDelete