Tuesday, January 15, 2013

My Minivan Doesn't Define Me

I told myself I would never do it.  I would avoid them at all costs.  I would drive the biggest SUV I could find before I would be forced behind the wheel of a minivan.  Minivan?!? Me? Never!!! But somehow here I am. 8 months into being a minivan owner.

The funny thing is that I can't even pinpoint the exact thing that makes me hate minivans so much. I don't think I'm too cool to drive one but it just not..."me".

I know I'm a mom. I know I have two kids. I know that two kids come with a lot of stuff. I know that strollers take up a lot of room. I know that minivans are perfect for all the above because they are practical. But I don't want to be practical when it comes to the car I drive, I want to be fun. I want to have a great sound system that makes all my favorite songs sound amazing. I want to drive something that doesn't feel like I'm backing up a semi. I want to look cool and hip (even if that sounds vain) as I drive through the McDonald's drive thru with my 2 loud kiddos.

One of my dirty little secrets is that  on my way to and from work when I'm all alone I jam out to music. I turn the volume all the way up and sing my heart out.  OK, that is a lie. I actually rap my heart out because there is still a little part of me that never left college.  Do you have any idea how weird it feel to rap in a minivan? Hint- WEIRD!

[caption id="attachment_1803" align="aligncenter" width="288"]60218_10151190942348578_760127382_n Hanging in the Mini[/caption]

Despite my dislike for minivans I am trying to make peace with my new set of wheels. I might still call it a "mini" instead of a minivan (sounds just a little cooler). I might have picked a white one because I thought it stood out less than red or blue. I might even daydream about that cool car that I really wish I was driving. But I have come to the conclusion that my minivan does not define me, so for now I will just crank up the rap and jam out with pride.

4 comments:

  1. Haha, Katie! I want to pull up next to you at a stop light some time, and we can do the minivan jam together. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want a minivan, BAD but we don't own a car lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't have a car in college so when I graduated, my mom gave me our old 95 ford aerostar to drive around. Now THAT was embarrassing- a 23 year old fresh-out-of-college girl driving her family's old minivan. My friends and I had fun with it though, we called it the Mama Van and I could haul around a lot of people in that thing. I even helped a bunch of friends move since I had the biggest vehicle. I eventually got over my insecurities and just had fun with it. 
     
    So, minivans aren't lame. They're only for the cool people who can handle them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are hilarious. I also have a strong dislike of minivans-not sure why either. Just not "me". So far so good-but we'll see...our family keeps getting larger and larger-not sure how that happened.

    ReplyDelete